|Welcome to Peter Denteneer's professional home page:|
the Leiden Institute of Physics (LION) of Universiteit Leiden.
General area: Condensed Matter Theory and Statistical Physics
* PRL2009: My shortest-title-ever paper: Feshbach-Einstein condensates. Using a new numerical quantum Monte Carlo algorithm we study condensed phases of mixtures of ultracold atoms and molecules created via Feshbach-resonance interaction. We find a new quantum phase: the super-Mott phase, which has characteristics of both superfluids and (Mott) insulators (It was later established the phase is not an actual superfluid, so the name should be considered somewhat misleading: we call it the `special-Mott phase' now). We also find opportunity to dissociate the name Bose from atomic and molecular condensates (appropriate since Bose never envisioned this possibility); published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 015301 (2009); also available as e-print cond-mat/0810.3763; authors: Valéry Rousseau and PJHD (Univ. Leiden, NL).
* PRL2005: on the visibility of absorption images as obtained from ultracold bosonic atoms in their superfluid and Mott-insulating phases; the observed, but unexplained, kinks in experiment are also found in our numerical simulations and are now better understood; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 220402 (2005); also available as e-print cond-mat/0509560; authors: Pinaki Sengupta (UC Riverside, USA), Marcos Rigol (UC Davis, USA), George Batrouni (INLN, Nice, France), PJHD (Univ. Leiden, NL), and Richard Scalettar (UC Davis, USA).
* PRL2004: on what happens if a cold, dilute Bose gas is confined to one spatial dimension (e.g. by using lasers) and the repulsive interaction between bosons gets very large; the bosons become almost like fermions, but not quite! This new state of quantum matter is called a Tonks-Girardeau gas; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 210401 (2004); also available as e-print cond-mat/0408596; authors: Lode Pollet, Stefan Rombouts (Univ. Gent, Belgium) and PJHD (Univ. Leiden, NL).
* PRL2003: on the effect of a Zeeman magnetic field (coupling just to spin, not orbit of electrons) on a two-dimensional disordered electronic system; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 246401 (2003); also available as e-print cond-mat/0302576; co-author: Richard Scalettar (UC Davis, USA).
* PRL2002: on the 1D Bose-Hubbard model in a harmonic trap, relevant to Bose condensates of ultracold atoms captured in optical lattices of criss-crossing laser beams; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 117203 (2002); also available as e-print cond-mat/0203082; authors: George Batrouni, Valéry Rousseau (INLN, Nice, France), Richard Scalettar (UC Davis, USA), Marcos Rigol, Alejandro Muramatsu (Univ. Stuttgart, Germany), PJHD (Univ. Leiden, NL) and Matthias Troyer (ETH Zürich, Switzerland). This paper was cited more than 100 times in the five years after it's publication (and more than 200 times in the ten years after publication).
* PRL2001: on the role of symmetry in the effect of disorder on the Mott-Hubbard insulator; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 146401 (2001); also available as e-print cond-mat/0106204; co-authors: Richard Scalettar (UC Davis, USA) and Nandini Trivedi (Tata Institute, Mumbai, India).
* PRL1999: on the possibility of a metal to insulator transition in a two-dimensional interacting disordered electronic system; published in Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 4610-4613 (1999); also available as e-print cond-mat/9907246; co-authors: Richard Scalettar (UC Davis, USA) and Nandini Trivedi (Tata Institute, Mumbai, India).
* Full list of my publications and writings (text).
* Top-10 of my most-cited publications (text).
* Top-10 of my most-frequent co-authors (text).
* Promo for prospective master thesis students (text and picture).
Het college wordt gegeven door 4 verschillende docenten:
In de regel wordt van 11:15-13u college gegeven en van 13:45-14:30u een opgaven/discussie sessie gehouden. Nadere informatie en details worden gegeven via het Blackboard systeem.
* Materiaal College 7; 22 februari 2010; Prof. Marcel Ausloos
* Materiaal College 8; 1 maart 2010; Prof. Marcel Ausloos
* College Quantummechanica 2 (voorjaar 2012): alle informatie wordt gegeven via het Blackboard systeem.
September 2011: cursus 2012 nog niet beschikbaar op Blackboard. De inhoud van het college zal enigszins afwijken van voorgaande jaren: in het bijzonder, er zal begonnen worden met Hoofdstuk 5 van Griffiths en daarvan zullen ook secties 5.3 en 5.4, over quantum statistiek, behandeld worden.
* Colleges verzorgd in eerdere jaren:
* Course Quantum Theory (Fall 2012): Text books and course description*** !! Latest news Quantum Theory!! ***
(August 30, 2012) First, and other, problem session (on Sept. 11) will be in HL106 (13:45-15:30h)
(August 3, 2012) First problem session QT: Tuesday Sept. 11, 2012, in xxx (13:45-15:30h)
(August 3, 2012) First lecture QT: Tuesday Sept. 4, 2012, in HL204 (11.15-13h)
(August 3, 2012) The course Quantum Theory in Fall 2012 will resemble that of Fall 2011
(see below and/or Blackboard),
*** Problem Sessions Quantum Theory *** (Tuesday, 13:45-15:30h, HL204)
* Lecture courses in previous years: 2006/2007 to 2011/2012: Quantum Theory (e.g. 2008/2009)